Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sigma Envy

On Saturday, Mary and I were at the Rhythm and Roots Cajun/Zydeco Festival in Rhode Island for a bit of dancing and music.  I took the Sigma DP2 along to take some snaps, with the hope of an occasional decent shot.  

My photography was average at best, but I was surprised by the amount of Sigma Envy I basked in throughout the day.

At each stage there were photographers, mostly using Canon DSLR's with the 70-200 zoom in white (that combination is like a badge that says "I'm a serious photographer").  Well, in order to get close I had to get close, real close, and I naturally, but politely, pushed myself past the Canons.  Man, did I get stares.  Or rather my camera got stares.  It's a bit pimped out with the filter barrel and the lens shade, and the hulking, bug-eyed Voightlander VF.  Also, the Franiec grip covers the Sigma label, so it's BLACK!  



But twice, while standing by the stages, 2 different photographers who were inside the lines (!) asked me to come back with them to get a better shot.  One knew it was a Sigma and asked if it was a DP1 or DP2, the other simply asked what kind of camera it was.  Both asked to take a look through the VF, and both asked what I thought of it.  Although long conversations were difficult because of the volume of the music, both guys made it clear they thought it would be more fun shooting with the Sigma vs. their Canons.  

Oddly, I thought if I were getting paid I'd take their 5D's with the 70-200 instead, but that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment